It's looking like Christmas
This was a pie recipe that was introduced by a friend of mine when I used to live in Southern California. There, she shared this secret recipe with myself, and our other circle of friends. We all would take turns baking it-because it was super easy to make and bake! The taste is out of this world-not too sweet, but yet not too bitter. It will be gone in seconds if you bring this to work-trust me (smile). Now, I googled this recipe and found out that it wasn't such a secret after all-it's all over google! It's a southern Kentucky Derbie Pie recipe! Who knew? My friend was Chinese (wink), and she loved country music more than southern girls did!
Now during this Christmas season-we all need more time for cooking and baking goodies for our loved ones. Thus, this is made with love and very quickly! I hope you get yourself in a good Christmas southern style mood and try it out!
*Pie Shell-I made from scratch this time, for the first time! But all the other previous times I used a 9-inch unbaked ready to bake vanilla crust. Graham is okay-but try to stick with the vanilla if it's available.
Okay. Ready? Set. Here!
Kentucky Derbie Pie Recipe:
9-inch Pie Shell (from scratch or Vanilla crust pre-made)
Chopped Pecans-1 cup
Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips- 1 cup
Eggs-2 that are beaten
Vanilla extract-1 tsp
1) Melt butter in microwave for 15 seconds, let it cool
2) Mix Sugar & flour, with melted butter & beaten eggs in a large bowl
3) Add everything else
4) Mix it thoroughly with a flat utensil so that it's gooey for about 2-4 minutes
5) Pour into unbaked pie shell
6) Bake on 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes
*Pie Shell Recipe:
Sugar- 2 tsp
Vanilla- 1 tsp
Cold butter-8 tbsp ot 1 stick cut into pieces
Iced water-4-6 tbsp
1) Flour, salt, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl mixed with fingers for 5 minutes
2) Drizzle 4 tbsp of iced water until dough is set
3) Shape dough with hands on a countertop, into a flat disc and place in pie pan.
4) Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes
5) Use with this pie recipe
Voila! Cool it on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. No need to refigerate. Warning-if you take this to work-it will be gone super fast..from seconds to just under an hour. So be sure you get a slice, too! If it's for the next day, warm up a slice in microwave for 10 seconds and serve with vanilla iced cream. Drool!
This is a blog about nothing major-just everyday normal things. I will blog at least once a month (smile).